Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My First "Modern" quilt

For the last couple of years I've been making most of my quilts using a pattern. Of course I had to revise any pattern I found to make it more tailored, but I always had a plan in mind when I started. I decided that I wanted to try a modern quilt that sort of created itself. I found one fabric that I loved with an abstract flower pattern, then I purchased solid fabrics in every color within the pattern.

I cut random strips of the colored fabrics and put them in a bag. I fussy cut several 'flowers' and then reached into the bag and sewed on whatever color I grabbed. For someone who tends to be very symmetrical in thought and a planner, this was a definite experience for me! Several times I pulled out a strip and by brain screamed NO -- that won't go! I just said 'tough' and sewed it anyway.

I have to say I'm pleased with the end result! It won't ever be my favorite quilt, but I'm so proud of being able to be less structured in it's preparation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment